I passed 70 583 Microsoft exam on “PRO Designing and Developing Windows Azure Applications”.
And here are the resources that helped me prepare for it, which I think can help you prepare for the same.
[Check the preparation materials page on Microsoft learning site for this exam – There may be new resources added over time. When I was preparing there was no self paced training kit for this Exam. It may have been added when you are reading this, so you may want to check it out: http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exam.aspx?ID=70-583#tab3 ]
Now, here are the top five resources that helped me:
1) Go to the official certification page: http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exam.aspx?ID=70-583 and browse through the “Skills measured” tab. it has a comprehensive list on topics that the exam would cover. I suggest you to do an analysis about your strong and weak areas from this list. Personally, I was not that familiar with the Windows Azure AppFabric component’s. So I marked it as my “weak” area. You could do the same for the topics that you are weak in and it helps during preparation.
[Now, if you are NOT new to windows azure, you can directly go to point #3]
Go to the preparation material tab now. And check out the options available. Now, when I gave the exam – there was no self-paced training kit (book) available to help prepare for 70 583. So I had to “create” my very own kit – so next was the learning plan for the exam. It has nice set of 12 jump start videos on various topic that gives a good head start. Note: Since these videos were recorded few months ago – it may not include the “latest” information and that’s an additional challenge that you face while preparing for the exam. Also note that when you browse through blog posts that are scattered around the blogosphere – it may not include the latest information. So don’t learn “old” information. Beware! And The best place for updated information is the BOL. Here is the starting page for Windows Azure BOL: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd179367.aspx
Any-who this is the preparation material page from which learning plan for the exam can be activated:
2) Go to http://www.microsoftvirtualacademy.com/Home.aspx and check out the relevant courses. When I was preparing for the exam, there were three course’s that helped me:
1. Introduction to SQL Azure
2. Introduction to windows azure
3. Windows Azure security
What I like about Microsoft Virtual Academy is that you get to solve a “QUIZ” after every section and that helped me gauge my understanding for various components of Windows Azure platform.
3) Now, the one of the BEST resource that I was able to find. Buck Woody’s certification exam notes for 70 583: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/buckwoody/archive/2011/01/31/certification-notes-70-583-designing-and-developing-windows-azure-applications.aspx?wa=wsignin1.0
Thank you sir, it was very helpful!
4. Now, comes the part where you target your weaknesses. My weak area was “AppFabric”. So searched for videos on http://channel9.msdn.com/ – The best part about channel 9 is that it has session recordings of TechED. And as you may know, TechED sessions are full of awesome tips and advices for anyone who is familiar with that particular technology. And for those that are new to the technology, there are “Introduction” level sessions that helps you get started. So yes, Go and work on your weaknesses.
5. Also, along with browsing for videos. You can have a look at an amazing resource Windows Azure platform Training Kit for targeting your weaknesses. It has HOL’s, presentations, videos, sample code, etc. Pick the topic that you want to learnt more about.
So those where my five favorite resources which I think can help you prepare for 70 583 Designing and Developing Windows Azure Applications. Good Luck!
- How to solve common data quality problems using data quality services (Part 2): - August 23, 2014
- 5 Power Pivot for Microsoft Excel 2010 Installation and Upgrade FAQs - February 26, 2014
- SSRS chart does not show all axis labels. How do I fix it? - December 17, 2013